Thursday, October 7, 2010

Accidents

We've had our share I think this week.  The most major accident occurred Monday....but it has taken me a few days to catch my breath and be able to post about it....

J and I started the morning with gymnastics.... After class I was chatting with a good friend while putting J in the car....B/c I was not giving him my full attention, he basically was just making his own fun all over the back seat (I had not buckled him in yet).  Anyway...I finally finished my chattering and buckled J in his seat to head home.  On the way... I kept hearing this strange noise...like a door was wide open noise...I panicked and looked up on my dashboard to sure enough find the door open sign lit up....only I wasn't sure what door it was.  Since I had just put J in the car, I assumed it was his...and I started to panic.... what if his door flies open?  How open is it?   I quickly became frantic.  So I slowed down and turned into a neighborhood.  After realizing that the person behind me was quite annoyed at my slow speed...I turned up the first cul-de-sac I saw to let him pass.  It happened to be the cul-de-sac near the development's pool very near the entrance.  My intent was to get out of the car....shut J's door and head on home....well...that was my intent, anyway.....until I realized having stepped out of the car that the car was not fully in park.  It took a moment for it to click with me....a moment too long, b/c before I knew it the car was rolling back down the hill...I ran after it hearing only the horrible screams from Joseph calling my name....  I tried desperately to keep up with the car....to reach around my open door without the car rolling over me....Finally by the grace of God.... I threw the car in park....and it still rolled a bit after that (not sure why)....and it finally reached the curb (having crossed over the entire entrance street to the neighborhood) before I could jump in the front seat.  I wasn't quick enough to shut the door before it grazed a light pole, causing the hinge of the door to completely separate.  But the good news...it finally stopped and no one was hurt....J was safely buckled in his seat....and thankfully no other cars or people had been in the street.  A nice landscaper who apparently had been working a ways up the street came to my rescue and held the door for me so I could drive it off the grassy area and back to the cul-de-sac.  Oh my....scariest thing ever.  Someone was watching over us that day....  Before this incident, it wasn't uncommon for me to complain about having bad luck at times,...but after Monday... I don't think I will ever complain about that again...b/c I have never been as lucky as I was that day!  It could have been so much worse....

So now....it's a rental car....for a while... And I'm still a bit paranoid about driving...so if you live nearby...you will probably see me walking (or hobbling....somehow I threw my bad knee out again trying to chase down the car) EVERYWHERE!  Thank goodness Sophia's school is sooo close and within walking distance!!!

So I wasn't the only one having accidents this week....I guess you could say that Sophia had her own on Monday as well.....but it was really kind of a silly accident.

The missy always gets a bit anxious about her loose teeth....she's always been a bit paranoid that they will hurt when they come out or worse yet that she will swallow it.  This time... one of her "fronters" was loose...it had been loose for quite some time...but she was really working it over the weekend.  I was surprised that she was trying to make it more loose....b/c as I said....loose teeth=paranoia.  Then she proceeded to tell me that she was hoping to lose her tooth at school, because this would result in a trip to the nurses office whereby she would receive a very glamorous tooth necklace equipped with a treasure chest to house the tooth.  Exciting stuff in first grade!!!

So Monday morning...also picture day... (before the car incident) she was brushing her teeth and I could see that her tooth was finally hanging by a thread.  I offered to pull it, but she would not allow....she was determined to lose this at school.  When I dropped her off... I imagined her going straight to her teacher and telling her she needed to go to the nurse.  I wondered if she would lose it before her school pictures...thought that would be kinda cute to see her toothless grin in her first grade picture.

Well at about 2:30 in the afternoon I get a call from the school nurse..."Sophia is okay, but...." ( I panicked yet again....thinking something horrific happened which I could not handle being that my morning had already been a bit crazed).  Instead she finished by saying..."she swallowed her tooth."  The nurse sounded so calm... I was devastated....I worried that Sophia would forever be traumatized since she has been so worried about this happening to her.  I told the nurse that she had been so excited to lose her tooth at school so she could get the tooth necklace....(which the nurse hadn't even given her until I mentioned this).  To my surprise, though...the nurse said Sophia came in with another friend and they were actually giggling about the incident....I still think she was a bit scared that the whole thing happened...but wanted to "look" brave to her friends.

When we were walking home from school that day, she told me all about how that one bite of her oreo knocked that tooth right down her throat at lunch.  She was a bit worried about swallowing her tooth (and about the blood on her "picture day shirt"...pictures had already been taken by the way), but I think the new tooth necklace made up for it!  Here she is at home...showing off her necklace and her new smile!




And because most accidents have to occur in threes...let's just mention one more for the week.  Last night...it was suicide hour (you know...the hour where I have to feed the dog, make sure homework is finished, monitor the outside playtime, and somehow still get dinner on the table by a decent time).  We had just walked in from the park and I put a pot of water on the stove to boil.  Sophia was whining about the fact that she wanted to set the table, and I had already laid the place mats out.  Joseph was pushing his Noah's Ark at dangerous speeds around the kitchen floor.  I went to stir the angel hair in the pot while trying to find more things Sophia could "help" me with.  Of course I was not paying attention to what I was doing... until I smelled this awful smell...burnt hair.  Yep....the bottom of one side of my hair had touched the stove.  Singed.  Well... I guess I'll take that as a sign from God that I need a haircut.  Done. Scheduled for tomorrow.

Whew!  Is it Friday yet?????

4 comments:

koki said...

OH me oh my!!! What a cRaZy week at the Standard household!!! I think you should have joined me on my trip to STL, Lia!! So thankful that everyone is safe and sound and toothless ;) TGIF! xxooo thea

mom2four said...

So glad all is well now....still feeling guilty about being so chatty after gym class. He sure was having fun in the car while we were chatting, wasn't he? Well, next week is a new week. :)

Lindsay Schmidt said...

Oh my goodness, sounds like you must be very happy that it's Friday! Love that you call it "suicide hour", we have "the witching hour" at our house, although it is usually from 4am to 5am! See you soon!

yiayia said...

I hope that special angel continues to watch over all of you!!!!! SOPHIA SOPHIA!!!! Priceless <3 Yiayia